Monday, February 1, 2016

College Survival & How To Maintain a 4.0

So, I may only be a freshman, but I am on my second semester (techincally fourth, since I was in an English 1010 and 1020 class at Southwest Community College doing dual enrollment for a full year) at the University of Memphis. In addition, I'm in the honor's program, so I definitely understand what it's like to have a good amount of work... with more than enough pressure to succeed. On top of that, I'm in a dorm, so the pros and cons of this living arrangement are pretty... distinct at this point.

Regardless of the length of my experience so far, I've figured out a pretty good tactic for survival -even success. I sound like a bad infomercial, but I'm serious. You may have heard of a few of these strategies, be it from a teacher, another website, or even.. dun dun dun.. your mom. (that's another thing you learn in college: your mom is probably right about most things you've fought about before.)

I learned these tips both from my own experience as well as witnessing the failures of my classmates and friends. As bad as it sounds, it's true. They showed me what not to do.


  • This first one is a given, and it's pretty simple: GO TO CLASS. I'm serious. Make note of the time and make sure to get to class five minutes early, in fact. There were SO many days where I didn't feel like going to class - I felt sick, I was up all night, I was tired, my face had broken out, I didn't have time to eat breakfast, my friends weren't going to be there to sit with me, it was too cold, it was too hot.. the list goes on. I'm sure you've felt at least one of these ways before and can relate. But believe me when I say this: going to class means better grades. You are there to learn, and you should welcome that privilege. Listen to the teacher, watch the whole film, make sure you understand those graphs, and do the reading. I couldn't believe how empty the classrooms were sometimes when I first started going here. Your teacher notices, and they'll have more respect for you if you show up for class.

  • Next is the second most important tip I have for you, and you'll hate this one too: stay off your phone. I get it, you don't want to sit through the boring class while your friends are off having fun without you. You could be having a juicy convo about your friends weird roommate, or scrolling through insta, or watching cute puppy videos on twitter. I want to be doing that too, I promise you. And I'm not going to lie - sometimes I do. But I miss stuff, and I regret it. I see so many people on their phones while in class and it's bordering on ridiculous - we are adults and we should at least be giving our teacher our attention. While I think it's silly to turn your phone off as some teachers suggest, make sure you mute it and put it down. I personally would hate to be unaware of an emergency for the sake of art history, but I urge you to use your mature judgment. 

  • Third: please, for the love of God, take notes. By hand. I cannot stress this enough. I'm sure you're aware of the scientific proof that when we write something down, it imprints it in our mind. Write down terms, facts, key notes the teacher stresses, and copy the powerpoints - even if they are uploaded online later. I take so many notes, and I reread them before quizzes and tests. It helps me remember so much, and I am especially thankful for them if the test or quiz allows open notes. In addition, you'll have plenty of info to study when finals come around. 

  • Next is almost equally as important as the last two: eat, and make sure it's somewhat healthy. Our brains need food to properly store information, and we need to think clearly when we are trying to solve problems. Also, you won't be that with the super loud stomach noises. Avoid sugary, processed things that will give you a sugar rush; opt for fruit, bottled juice, oatmeal, veggies and greens, protein, and lots of water. Keep your body hydrated and you'll notice a variety of positive impacts this has on your health.  

  • It's one you've heard, but it's one you need to do: sleep. Get lots of it. I know you have homework, but you should get in the habit of doing it earlier. Don't stay up late writing your paper, or texting your boyfriend, or watching reruns of your favorite show (I'm guilty of all three) - go to bed for at least 6-8 hours of sleep. It will help your mind and body take on the next day, and it will help your anxiety, skin problems, weight, and general well being. 

  • This one sounds weird, and you probably won't want to do it (I certainly didn't), but it works: if you have an 8 am, get up at 7. Make sure you're up at least an hour before class, no matter how late you were up. This goes hand in hand with the last bullet point, so you should be well-rested. You'll have enough time to get ready for class at a good pace, eat a good breakfast, and get fully awake. When 8 o'clock rolls around you won't be exhausted, hungry, and thrown together. 

  • Again, this is a given, but it is true: Do the homework and assignments immediately. Don't wait til the night before to write your paper, and don't skim through the reading in thirty minutes. Do your math problems after you get out of all your classes for the day, the same night they were given. The information will be fresh in your mind and you'll be much less stressed. You can watch reruns of the office guilt-free! It's so nice to relax knowing you've done everything already. On top of that, this tip goes along with the last two - you'll get much more rest and it'll be easier waking up if you're not running on 3 hours of sleep. 

  • This one is sort of two combined: keep a note buddy for each class, so you can help each other with assignments and notes from a missed class, but keep your friends authentic. I know college is full of activities and fun stuff, with alot of new people. But you need to keep your head on straight and choose your friends wisely during this time. Alot of people are backstabbers and fake, and they're just here to have a good time. Try not to hang out with the girl who partys til 4am every night, drinks like a fish, and disrespects people - they may have seemed cool in high school, but that kind of attitude doesn't get you far in the adult world. And you certainly won't end up with a 4.0.... Or even a 2.0.

  • This is encouraged by alot of people, but it has downsides: get involved. I encourage you to participate in a club, join a sorority/fraternity, or volunteer for your school. For many, having a network of support is crucial to stay focused throughout school. Plus, you'll have great things for your resume. But too many things will lead you off the path of good grades and onto the path of bad ones. You may find yourself too busy with your clubs commitments to study for that upcoming quiz, or you will be organizing a table for your sorority instead of reading your assignment. In college, it's all about using your judgement and learning to manage your time properly. 

  • Finally: call your mom. This is more important than you likely realize - your momma has been through life alot longer than you and she knows more than you are aware of. She is scared for you and wants the best for you... but more importantly, she believes in you. She's your number one fan. In a world surrounded by fakes and people out to get you, your mom will always be your rock and always be there to cheer you on. Don't forget that and get too wrapped up in other things to thank your mom for the things she does for you. Fill her in, spill your fears and worries, and seek her advice. She is smart and is right about so much. And she always, always loves you. 

Thanks for reading, and I hope I helped you! If you're interested in learning how to survive dorm life, let me know. I may make a post about my room, the pros and cons of dorm life, and the thing's I've learned from this experience. 

xox, olivia




No comments:

Post a Comment